Thursday, November 10, 2011

Fried Tacos

This recipe is for my mom.  It's not healthy, but it is delicious.  I should have taken some photos of the process or final product, but I was too busy eating.  Better luck next time.  The pic below is kind of similar, but with flour tortillas and different batter.  Also delicious, I'm sure.

Photo Source: Kitchen Chick

I'm not very good at recipes.  I always just wing it, so these measurements are my best estimates.  Use your own judgement.  I made this the first time in an effort to kill some of the old ingredients in my fridge and as an experiment to improve on hard shell tacos, which always taste a bit stale out of the box.

Ingredients:
Corn Tortillas
1 C Uncooked Rice
1 Large Can Black Beans (1lb, 13 oz)
2 Large Chicken Breast
1 Large Onion, chopped
1 Large Bell Pepper, chopped
1/2 C Salsa
Garlic
Chili Powder
Salt
Shredded Mexican Cheese
Olive Oil

Toppings:
Avocado
Greek Yogurt
Salsa
Cilantro
Hot Sauce

Directions:

Cook your rice and set aside.  We like basmati, which is an Indian rice and great at holding flavor.  I use the 2 cups water to 1 cup rice ratio.  Adding more or less water depending on the consistency I want.

Cook your chicken breast by your preferred method.  I always boil it because I like to use the chicken broth later, and I find it almost impossible to dry out the chicken this way.  Cut into large chunks and shred into bite sized pieces by hand.  Or I think fancy people use 2 forks.

For the Batter - In a large sauce pan fry chopped onions and garlic with olive oil.  Add cooked rice, black beans, chicken, salsa and spices to taste.  Keep stirring until hot.  Add chopped peppers last, mix, turn off heat and set aside.

Put olive oil in a hot fry pan.  I use this beauty and it fits 2 perfectly.  Place the corn tortilla wrapper in the oil and let heat and stiffen, a bit.  (I used the blue corn tortillas, which taste a bit nuttier and are a bit healthier than regular yellow corn tortillas, but both would work the same)  Flip the shell and heat until warm.  Sprinkle shredded cheese on the shell and allow to melt slightly.  Add 2 spoonfuls of batter on one side of the shell.  Top with more shredded cheese.  Bend shell in half and smash with spatula until in the form of a taco.  Fry hard on both sides until all cheese is melted and the shell is crispy.  Eat with avocado/guacamole, salsa, hot sauce, greek yogurt, and cilantro.

You could easily substitute the chicken with ground beef, pork or fish, but I was trying to go healthy.  If only I could give up on cheese and olive oil...

No comments:

Post a Comment