Thursday, January 5, 2012

Vacation Dreaming: Hopetown, Bahamas

Another cold, dark day calls for a little vacation dreaming.  Hopetown is my go-to dream.  I traveled here with my family when I was younger and have idolized the beaches, water, and adorable town, ever since.

Hopetown is located on Elbow Cay in the Abacos.  It's not a popular tourist destination because it's a bit tricky to get to.  All the better.  Visitors fly into Marsh Harbor and take a short ferry ride to Hopetown.  Once there, locals travel by foot, boat, or golf cart.


If Beau and I were visiting, I think we'd stay in one of these teeny tiny bungalows.  This one sits right on the beach.
Cottage area, beach and oceanExterior of kitchen
This one sits on a small island just outside of Hopetown.  It includes a boat with rental.
South Cottage Dock with 17' Boston WhalerParrot Perch livingroom
This place sits right in the harbor, with a great view of the anchorage.

This place is a little more expensive, but on the gorgeous Tahiti beach with a private dock.
Private sandy beach on the Sea of Abaco. Private dock.  Photo taken from deck.View of house from Private dock,shows private beach area/ house, coconut trees

We'd do lots of fishing and snorkeling, and spend the afternoons at Abaco Inn, where I recall they make a delicious Pina Colada.

 I had a virgin colada the last time we were there, but I'm sure it would be just as tasty the traditional way!

1 comment:

  1. Loved looking at the pics of Elbow Cay. We stayed at Abaco Inn (kayaked to Tahiti beach from there); enjoyed the sound of the crashing surf, snorkeling, and walking or golf-carting the entire island. Aunt Judy

    ReplyDelete